Share This

Google+ Badge

Monday, May 28, 2012

MEMORIAL DAY, 2012!!!

Murray M. Silverman, Esq. "Legaleagle"
May 28, 2012

At times it is difficult for me to put into words the emotions that I feel…today is one of those times.
MEMORIAL DAY!!!  
Originally called “Declaration Day,” is a day of remembrance for those who died in our nation’s service, it is a federal holiday observed annually in the United States on the last Monday in May.
How do you say “THANK YOU?”
I admit that I cherish tenderly the memories of our heroic dead who made their breast a barricade between our country and it’s foes.
They served our country with great pride, integrity, guts, and fierce determination that America is the land of the free and the home of the braveand should remain that way eternally.  We all know the great examples of courage beyond the call of duty. My first experience was in Savannah, Georgia, in 1946 when the remains of Staff Sgt. George K. Gannam, was returned for burial.  22 years old,  Killed In Action in the defense of Hickham Field near Honolulu, Hawaii, December 7, 1941, and Savannah’s first fatality, in World War,II.  I was honored to serve as a Benedictine Military School, Color Guard, and fire the 21 gun salute as chills ran down my spine and tears filled my eyes, to observe first hand the grief of his family. I performed that duty over two years, a total of 22 times, and never got used to it. Those thoughts remain with me.
“Thank you is inadequate.”   We will not forget…that they did not die in vain…remember….remember…
Pause to reflect on what has been given so that Freedom could ring across this great land.
My dear friend, J. K. Rau, a Great American, and Nashville, Tennessee native reminds me that TAPS is appropriate…a musical piece sounded at dusk and at funerals by the United States Military, generally on bugle.:
TAPS
“Day is done, gone the sun, from the lakes, from the hills, from the sky.
All is well, safely rest, GOD is Nigh.
Fading light dims the sight, and a star gems the sky, gleaming bright from afar, drawing near,
Falls the night,
Thanks and  praise for our days,
Neath the sun, neath the stars, neath the sky.
As we go, this we know,
GOD IS NIGH.”
And so my friends,
TO ALL OUR HEROIC DEAD- “MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU ON THIS AND EVERY DAY!”